Friday, December 22, 2006

Got a gig







So, I had a phone interview with Ram Air Freight based in RDU yesterday. The guy I spoke with told me he would recommend me to be hired to the chief pilot. Sounds like a great opportunity. I will initially start off in the Piper Lance, a strong and reliable aircraft. With all my Arrow time it should be a breeze for me to transition. Once a slot opens up I will move into either a seneca, a baron, or a cessna 402. Its nice to have this lined up, because it really takes the heat off the express jet interview. EXJET is still my number one, and I am still preparing for the interview as though the job was mine.....but a little of the pressure is off. Did I say "a little".....? Cause I am still stressed...lol.

Ram air will be a great spot for me to hone my skills as a pilot flying single pilot IFR missions in all types of weather and at both day and night. Here is a pic of a Lance.

3 comments:

Dave Starr said...

Well it must be Christmas *smile* As you say, this wouldn't be the 'real' job , but it beats the heck out of a poke with a sharp stick and you almost _have_ to do better on the interview with a fallback plan in your pocket.

Didn't even expect any posts in most of the blogs I read, but it always happens when you least expect it. Best of luck.

Jack Taugher said...

I'd be curious .. as someone who thought of the career-change to a pilot instead of a hobby -- where do you expect to be the first, second and third years in pay?

ERJ Driver said...

I know exactly what I am going to be making. At a freight gig first year id expect around 26k-30k. At a regional first year pay is the pitts. Roughly 24$ an hour(sometimes less) for a 75 hour guarantee when you are on reserve. When you can hold a line it gets better because you get per diem and a few more hours, but on avg I think its around 24000. Second and third year it goes up substantially, to roughly 38k and 45k respectively. I am single and very portable...so a perfect candidate for the job I suppose. And like my parents say...money isnt everything. From someone who was uber-unhappy at my old desk job Id say itll be just fine with me.