Monday, December 18, 2006

Good news at last




So, I have been pretty busy the last few weeks at the airport. Quite a bit of stress on me for a variety of reasons, but it looks as though it has all paid off. I am happy to report that most of it is very good news indeed.

I will start from the top....

Robbie, my older (former) student pilot is set to take delivery of a new cirrus SR22 this week. We were under a time constraint to get him his license, and every time we tried to fly weather or something else would get in the way. In any event, Robbie finally got it all together and went to take his private pilot checkride with a local examiner here at Leesburg. Ive never seen a guy so nervous and tense as he was that day. But apparently he did fine, and is now a licensed private pilot. Next on his agenda is cirrus training at Leesburg in his plane, as well as me getting checked out in the aircraft. I will get a day of factory training by a cirrus instructor so that I can feel comfortable in the airplane when we do his instrument.

I also passed 1200 hours. So that makes me officially eligible for alot of 135 single pilot ifr work that is out there. Its mostly freight gigs that involve night runs in barrons, senecas, lances, c210's and caravans. I am sitting at about 1240 right now and 138 multi.

As quickly as I reached part 135 mins I also got a letter from express jet---the regional for continental airlines. I interview on the 27th and am very excited. The other two interviews with comair and eagle were practice sessions for this one. As sad as I was to have not been previously selected at comair or eagle, I am very thankful to have had that practice. Invaluable. The gouges seem to be very jeppesen focused. They ask rather obscure symbology questions, and expect you to have a very indepth working knowledge of the charts. They also provide carrier service to Mexico, so a great portion of the interview involves looking at Mexican approaches and departure procedures. I have been lucky enough to get my hands on an approach plate from Saltillo Mexico that they use on the pilots proficiency check. Hopefully I will get that presented to me in the interview. The very nice thing about the interview process is that I will get to know immediately afterwards whether I was selected or not. No waiting on pins and needles for days wondering.

Everyone keep me in their prayers....perhaps the third time will be the charm.........

4 comments:

Dave Starr said...

Where do you have to travel for the interview? Funny week for them to schedule it, as in many companies all the decison makers will be nowhere to be found that week. But I'm sure there are many others along with me who will wish you the very best ... don't get all uptight for the interview, you have other opportunities ahead as well.

Since I'm past the age of caring about a regular job I'm more green-eyed about the Cirrus training and the chance to instruct in that fine machine.

Merry Christmas

ERJ Driver said...

Thanks...I couldve interviewed on the 18th but I wanted more time to prepare. The airline industry is 24/7 so it is no surprise they are working that week. The cirrus on the other hand is goingto be a blast. I did a fun ifr trip to norfolk last week ill blog on. got to go up the east side of dulles on the way home. lots of fun

Windsor said...

Study the gouges on www.aviationinterviews.com they will help you out. its an easy interview. know your plane, regs, hi jepp charts and how to finger fly a vor approach and you'll do fine. Bring snacks cause its a loooong day. if you can, get in the morning interview session. they seem to hire more from there than the afternoon one.

ERJ Driver said...

Thanks...I am on a 6 am flight and interview at 9. should be a marathon day. im pumped and ready to go. wish me luck