Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I AM OFFICIAL

Saturday July 30th, at 830 am we departed Leesburg airport for Frederick municipal airport to take our checkrides. Myself, another commercial candidate and his instructor climbed in the arrow and departed IFR to FDK. ceilings were low so we requested the ILS approach to runway 23. For those that dont know, and ILS is an approach to landing in low visibility conditions which gives you runway centerline guidance and keeps you on a 3 degree glidepath to the runway. You are allowed to descend to within about 200 feet of the ground before being required to fly the missed approach. Anyhow, we broke out of the clouds right at decision height(dh) and landed uneventufully. We parked and I met the examiner inside. She ran me through about a three hour oral exam. We talked about everything from runway markings to lesson plans to aerodynamics. It was thorough and a good learning experience for me. The clouds were still hanging around so I sent in my buddy to get his oral out of the way. I went and grabbed a crabcake sandwich. Oh how i wish i were done.

The flight started uneventfully with a softfield takeoff with a tailwind at high density altitude. we climbed out and went north of the field to do some airwork. We started with steep turns, slow flight, stalls and then a lazy eight. then we did eights on pylons, turns around a point, and then back to the airport for a power off landing. After the engine out we came back around for a soft field landing on a short field. I was officially a CFI. To date of the coolest feelings I have had in aviation.

So, nowI am on to my multi engine rating and to find a couple students. Exciting stuff.

I was offered a position flight instructing at the flight school I trained at. I will start in a few weeks.

No comments: