Sunday, August 21, 2005

c177rg cardinal checkout complete

So, I had probably the best day of flying in some time today in the cardinal. An airplane i struggled with last week felt like an old friend today. We headed out of leesburg up towards Frederick. started with some steep turns, then the stall series, then some gear emergencies. Cessna landing gear systems are different and not what i was used to so learning how to operate the emergency gear extension system was crucial. We then headed back to Leesburg for some landings. I greased the first x-wind landing and then we headed back for a power off landing. I was well within 200 ft of my intended landing spot. Then we finished up with a couple of engine failures on takeoff. when we cleared the trees Ray pulled the power and i landed with no flaps and on the remaining runway. It was a new experience for me and a real eye opener. things really happen fast.

I also got another endorsement. The FAA requires that anyone who wants to fly an airplane with an engine over 200 horsepower, needs to receive and log ground and flight instruction in the operations of a high performance engine. Since the Cardinal was 225 hp we did the training and I was signed off to fly high performance aircraft. Pretty cool huh?

2 comments:

Yellowbird said...

Where did you find a 225 hp Cardinal? Normally, the RG's have only 200hp - I'm not familiar with an STC to put more up front.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I have been 20% owner of a c77r for 15 years. I would love to have 25 more hp on top of the 200hp io360 lycoming.