Saturday, February 03, 2007

Week 2

Week two behind us.....thank god. Couple of things about training. All you have to worry about is going to class and studying.....but then again all you have to worry about is going to class and studying. My point is that there isnt much time here for doing anything outside of the classroom or the books. For me the hardest part has been being a prisoner at the hotel and the training center. I am sneaking out for a jog at night but other than that I have been in my room with a book in my lap.

The beginning of the week was CRM. We looked at several airline crashes and determined the crews roles in the disasters. Pretty interesting stuff.

Wed we started systems training. All I have to say is....this plane is way too smart. Its friggin badass. So far we have looked at the electrics and the powerplant. I will have two rolls royce AE3007 engines at my disposal...producing a combined thrust of over 10000 lbs. The electrics are a mind of their own. The electrical distribution logic is the brain of the operation and is the final authority over whether a particular configuration will work. I cant really get into specifics because its so complicated, but take my word when I tell you that I never dreamt Id get to fly something so badass. The powerplant is nice too. A high ratio bypass turbofan engine with a whole lotta beef behind it. The aircraft has so many failsafes built into ever system, that anyone who flies commercially should feel pretty safe about it. Even human error is cut down by the fact that the airplane just wont let you do it sometimes. Pretty cool.......as my instructor says...brazilian magic.

Ive got one more week of systems. The final written exam is on Monday next week, then its into the flight training device for 10 days of training, and then the sims. I am scheduled to fly the aircraft for the first time Mar 10. Its looking like Newark as my base, which is a-ok with me.

For all the hype systems gets, I am doing surprisingly well. they boast a firehose style of teaching, but I am retaining everything with little or no problem.

3 comments:

Crapcakes! said...

I just wanted to say, I'm an amateur private pilot/aviation enthusiast and I've been following your career on here with a lot of interest. I hope you continue to post about your ERJ training on a regular basis because it offers a lot of insight into the whole process for people like me - people who can't do what you are doing but love to dream about it.

Congrats on the job and how did systems training go?

Clint said...

hey...don't lose focus in your training. we had a couple guys who were aready captains going through training and failed their checkrides and aurals because they lost focus. good luck on your written.

Windsor said...

Enjoy your time in the sim. They may be nerve wracking to some people, but they give you a chance to fly the aircraft outside the norm. If you have troubles, just relax, take a deep breath and remember that its just a plane. You pull back to go up, push forward to go down and press buttons to make "otto" pilot do some work for you.