Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sim 3--stage check

My sim partner and I geared up for what would prove to be a hell of a night in the sim. We were on sim 3...its a training gate and we had to pass it in order to move on. If we were unsat we would need to redo the lesson before moving on. As luck would have it I was slated to go first. I settled into the right seat and built my nest. I adjusted the seat and rudder pedals, stowed my flight case and assumed my duties as FO in the sim. We quickly ran through our ground ops and were making a low vis taxi to 22R at Newark. First item on the agenda was a 600 RVR takeoff. No problem, I assumed the centerline, advanced the thrust levers and began the roll. We were soon at 80 knots, then at rotation and I was on the gauges. We popped out the top of the low fog layer and climbed to 5000. It was time for a steep turn to the right. 180 degrees, 45 degrees of bank. Not too tough. My pitchiness and problems holding altitude have seen to diminish. Then it was the stall series. We did a clean stall, takeoff config stall, and landing config. Again, all within the standards set forth.
My instructor then said, if you can do a non precision approach you will move on in the training. thats where the trouble started. I have previously nailed all my approaches. Not this day though. I set up for the localizer to 22l at Newark. We were on vectors, and I was quickly being turned onto the localizer.....I was also handflying the whole thing. It was tough. I got slow, then fast then slow again, missed my stepdowns. I opted to go around and asked for vectors back around for another try. This time I really lost it. Went full scale on the localizer and went around. It was bad news. But, I never gave up. I asked to go back around and tried again. this time, I made it down, went visual, saw the papi lights and made a nice transition to the runway for a full stop landing. I was soaked.....tense......and somehow got it done. But It was a handful.

the rest of the lesson was fun. We did some V1 cuts, then did a single engine ILS. We did a couple aborted takeoffs and ran the QRH for engine and apu fire on the ground, as well as for an emergency evac. Then it was and engine fire in the second segment of the climb. We were between 35 feet and 500 ft agl when the firehandles lit up. We climbed, ran the QRH and secured the engine. The instructor gave us the engine back and then took away our hydraulics. The aircraft uses hydraulics for aileron, rudder, speedbrakes, thrust reversers, nosewheel steering, and brakes. So, our landing was a handful. we did an ils in "manual reversion"...no hydraulics...heavy airplane. We stopped on the runway by making slight applications of the parking brake. It was interesting.

anyhow, I have today off and its back in the sim tommorrow night for lesson 4. We are slated to fly the DME arc to saltillo mexico. Should be a real handful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detailed sim narrative, hope to see you keep posting more. Good luck with the rest of training!