Saturday, October 14, 2006

Passed over

So, as quickly as I thought I was airline bound the hope was snatched from me. I received an email from American Eagle mgmt stating that the Captains selection board did not take me. I was pretty bummed as Eagle wouldve been an awesome place to work. With crew bases in LGA, BOS, and SanJuan on the top of my list I wouldve had the awesome priveledge to fly for AAL as their regional carrier. Anyhow, Its back to work here at the flight school. I have several more resumes out there, and if all else fails I will go fly freight when I get part 135 mins. That includes 1200 total time, 500 x-c, 100 instrument and roughly 100 night. I am at about 1070 total time right now. there is an outfit in Richmond that Id like to go fly at. Learn how to really fly a twin aircraft.

In the meantime I am writing this while my student preflights the aircraft. His private pilot checkride is on the 22nd of this month so we dont have much time to get him up to speed. Hes got alot of time scheduled so that will be good for me. the frost has set in as well. We broke out the glycol solution to clean the wings this morning, and will probably be doing it for a few months now to come. It is very important to clean off the frost, snow and ice from the wings before attemting to takeoff. If it is bad enough it could potentially disrupt enough airflow so that the airplane never gets airborne. I broke out the fleece jacket, and will need to find some gloves in the next week. Summer is officially over i guess.

Keep your fingers crossed.....air wisconsin and continental express are my main focus right now.

4 comments:

Dave Starr said...

Never much nice that can be said about a rejection, no matter how you try to sugar coat it, it burns inside. Do exactly as you are doing, keep flying and keep trying. Very likely that you got passed over on the Americna Eagle try simply because of low time, you'll be able to try again in the next cycle if none of the others pan out either.

In the meantime, while I know it doesn't pay the bills, you are entrusted with a sacred duty ... the lessons you're teaching today could well mean people's lives tommorrow. It's quite different than selling TV's at BestBuy. I don't want to wax too dramatic, but it's a job that beats the heck out of pushing papers in an office.

ERJ Driver said...

Thanks Dave
You give me some motivation. On a positive side, I was a bit burnt out, but the 4 days off for the interview were what I needed to get reinvigorated and back into the urge to instruct. You are right, and I always think about what could happen when I am no longer in the cockpit. Its my job to train these people to be safe and proficient pilots. So, for the time being thats what Ill do.

sean

GC said...

Thought about SkyWest? Great place to work!

Ryan O'Harren said...

Sean,

Don't sweat the rejection. I was rejected by 2 other airlines until I got on with Eagle back in 1999. It's good experience to go through the interview process. Like you said, other doors will open. Keep the shiny side up and never give up on your dreams!

Ryan

ryanthepilot.blogspot.com