Sunday, February 12, 2006

SNOW!!

Ok, so I am not going to complain.....but we have about 10 inches on the ground right now. This winter has been very kind to us thus far so I am not the least bit irritated. It sure looks nice..all white and pretty....but I am sitting at the dispatch desk of the flight school with nothing to do. no flying, no customers...and worst of all no students for me to fly with. I am watching the snow removal crew do a full working over of the runway and taxiways from my desk here. The airport is still closed, as are most of the GA airports in the area. KHEF-Manassas is only open with 15 min prior approval, and Dulles is alternating runways for snow removal and treatment. On my way in to work this morning I was eavesdropping on the approach control freq. and heard a controller tell someone that everyone(all arrivals) was going to land on RWY 1R. And funniest of all was that she had a line of about 15 aircraft inbound. Awesome.

Temps right now are just above freezing and the sun is partially out, so mother nature is helping with the snow removal. I am lucky enough to be indoors while the rest of the gang is outside cleaning planes, although I kinda feel as though Id rather be out there. Most of the cessnas on the field are sitting with several inches of snow and ice on the wings and tail. this is making them all look at though they are taildraggers with a nosewheel. The added weight on the tail is causing the nose wheel to lift off and the tail to touch the ground. It looks kinda funny, but certainly cant be good for the plane. The ironic thing about all this is that John over at http://freightdogtales.blogspot.com was just ranting about the golf tourny biz-jets and the great weather he was having. Glad you were enjoying it. I, my friend, was digging my car out of several inches of snow this morning.

So, the airport is back open. The aircraft are clean and operations have began again here at the Leesburg airport. Its one of those nuisances that come with winter flying in the mid atlantic states. They way I look at it, I could be up in New England where they were predicting a blizzard. At least I got to make a few bucks working the desk, and Ill get to fly the sim before I leave here tonite. Good stuff.

No comments: