Sunday, February 19, 2006

Arctic Blast

Yesterday saw a FROPA- or frontal passage and the obligatory winds and dropping temps. Wed and thurs last week were gorgeous. Warm temps, sunny skies. I didnt even need a jacket when I left my house that morning. Yesterday was a standard saturday for Feb in Northern VA. The wind from the backside of the coldfront, and the dropping temps made it very unappealing to our customers to go fly. This morning I was greeted with a metar that read something like this....m11/m18. In plain English this means temperature minus 11, dewpoint minus 18. It was damn cold. I showed up for a 9 am student around 830. I knew we would need to preheat so i left instructions for my student to meet me at the plane and I headed out to do the dirty work. Today was the first day we needed the preheater(to warm the engine oil and engine block to help start easier). So, I had to go look around the hangar till i found it. I eventualy did and it was a miracle that it worked. So, I got the preheat operations rolling on the line while the first wave of students headed out. We headed out to do our thing for an hour or so.

I am starting to get bored of watching stalls, slow flight and steep turns. my students just need practice and thats what I am here to help with.

Tomorrow morning I am taking my mom and two cousins up in the airplane for a scenic. Its going to be fun to actually get to fly the airplane for a change.

I absolutely love to fly, and without a doubt am enjoying every single second that I spend out here at the airport. to alot of people this is a hobby, but to me this is home. I am pretty sure some of you who read this will concur and feel the same way.........why else would I have been out here on a sunday morning freezing my a$$ off just to go in an airplane. Sometimes I feel as though Im the luckiest guy around.

No comments: