Friday, March 09, 2007

Done

....at the schoolhouse. At least the hard part is over. I passed my Embraer 145 Second in command proficiency check Wed afternoon. Ive never been so excited as I was that afternoon. The whole process was incredibly stressful, but in the end it was by far the most rewarding feeling Ive ever experienced.
I had some issues at the very end of the syllabus, and had to get some additional training in order to get through to the PC. My biggest problems involved speed control on non precision approaches and the descent from MDA to the runway via the PAPI lights. Papi's, or precision approach path indicators, are lights positioned next to the runway that help to guide a pilot to the runway. they are most useful when on a non precision approach in helping to determine when to start towards the runway. A typical non precision approach will have you out 10 or 12 miles on the localizer(a radio nav aide that keeps you on the extended centerline of the runway). At specific intervals the approach calls for stepdowns. These stepdowns are based on traffic concerns, and most often are based on terrain. For example you will be at 3000 until 10 miles, then go down to 2000 until 6 miles, then to 1500 until 4 miles. At 4 miles you are at your final approach fix, and start the descent to the MDA-minimum decent altitude. The MDA might be as low as 400 feet above the earth. You hold that until you see the runway or reach your missed approach point. AT that point you either "go missed" or land the aircraft. A complicated non precision will really make it tough on you in bad weather.
Anyhow, the ride started with an area departure with a 600 RVR takeoff(low vis). then it was steep turns, and a stall. Then the Autopilot came onfor a coupled ILS and a full missed approach procedure. Once we were on the missed I had an engine fire and had to secure the engine. Then it was back around for a single engine ILS to a full stop. After that we did an aborted takeoff and an engine loss at rotation. He gave me my engine back and it was a non precision to a full stop landing. I didnt do my best flying ever but it was good enough. As always, its a license to learn under a knowledgable captain.
So, i am sitting idle in the hotel waiting for my loft to be scheduled. It is a real line flight in the sim, in real time, with an emergency thrown in for good measure. Its not graded so its a good learning experience.
After I do loft I will get to go home. Been here 7 weeks and I am ready to head home. Then its a wait for IOE---my first chance to fly the real thing.

4 comments:

Windsor said...

Congrats. Have fun burning some Jet-A.

Clint said...

congratulations!! IOE isn't like the sim...get ready!!!

Anonymous said...

I keep checking back for an update. Hope all is going well for you, can't wait to hear about it!

B. N. Sullivan said...

Yes, I'm with Sam. Waiting to hear how that IOE went. Don't keep us in suspense!